9/22 represents the genetic change of Chromosomes 9 and 22 that causes Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML). This September 22 (9/22), patient organisations across the world will unite to raise awareness of the needs of patients living with CML.
- Awareness Day Initiatives 2012
- "Faces of CML" photos
- Provide your own photo
- Sign the proclamation
- Awareness Day Events 2011
What can my organisation and my patients do
to participate in International CML Awareness Day?
Share your activity on CML Awareness Day!
Give CML a face - submit a photo about CML!
The CML Advocates Network is asking patients across the world to submit photos. The photos will demonstrate different faces that CML has: old and young, men and women, in different countries and from different cultures.
Please give CML a face! Encourage many patients to provide us with a photo before CML Awareness Day! It will be displayed on the CML Advocates Network website and can be used by CML organisations across the world to give CML a lively face!
Sign the proclamation to declare 22 September (9/22) International CML Awareness Day
We, as representatives of the global community of patient advocacy groups supporting people living with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML), do collectively call upon all those responsible for the wellbeing of CML patients to adhere to and build upon the basic standards laid out in the 'Baveno CML Declaration'
To speak with a united voice, the CML community wishes to proclaim SEPTEMBER 22 as the annual International CML Awareness Day and encourage patients, caregivers, healthcare professionals, government and industry, as well as the wider community, to join with us as we work together to raise awareness about chronic myeloid leukemia and the need for timely access to diagnosis, treatment and care.
Organize an initiative of your patient group on September 22
Some easy ideas
- Send a press release to the media on the day before CML Awareness Day, illustrating the challenges of CML patients in your country
- Display posters, images or other awareness raising media such as balloons
- Distribute flyers about CML and about patients suffering from leukemia
- Organise CML events around topics paramount to patients
- Coordinate letters or email campaigns to local policy or national policy decision makers about CML and rare cancers
- Arrange to meet with local and national authorities on CML Awareness Day
With a bit more planning:
- Award your fellow patient advocates on their greatest achievements as CML patients
- Organise interviews with the media
- Organise a fund-raising event
- Invite a VIP of your country to endorse the CML Awareness Day
- Organise a visit to a leukemia research lab by a member of your parliament or government
Provide a video to the CML Awareness Day video (Deadline passed)
Your CML Advocates Network team: Jana, Giora, Jan, Pat, Zhengchen Liu, Anita, Euzebiusz, Bahija.