Association of Support for Leukemia Patients
(Leikemijas slimnieku atbalsta biedriba)
Riga LV- 1050
Telephone: + 371 29231077 (Ingrida Jansone, The President of Association)
+ 371 29277444 (Ilona Zacmane, The Coordinator of Association)
KEY CONTACT:Name: Ingrida Jansone
ORGANIZATIONAL OBJECTIVES:To support leukemia patients by addressing various needs: medical, educational, social, financial, and others, like availability of the latest medicine.
- to explain to society, Ministry of Health and institutions of Ministry of Health the leukemia patients problems;
- to support leukemia patients;
- to promote actual information for leukemia patients and their relatives;
- to develop the communication between patients and medical officials;
- to organize the help and advocacy for leukemia patients;
- to educate and increase the societyâ€™s knowledge about questions according to leukemia.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF ORGANIZATION:We were established in December 2004.
The aim of the association is to explain the problems of leukaemia patients to the society, Ministry of Health and its institutions, to support patients and to deal with the issues regarding the illness. The most topical issues are: patient rights to receive qualitative treatment with new, effective and world recognised medicine and methods, experience exchange among patients and creation of stronger bonds not only with the society but also with doctors.
Every quarter a general meeting of members is held where members are informed about the novelties in the association, current events in the health care industry, where they can share their experience and feelings, and get acquainted with the new members of the association.
AUDIENCE/CONSTITUENCY:Leukemia patients and their supporters (friends, family members, doctors etc.)
NUMBER OF MEMBERS:~44 members
COUNTRIES IN WHICH ORGANIZATION HAS A SIGNIFICANT MEMBERSHIP BASE:Latvia
WAYS OF COMMUNICATING WITH CONSTITUENCY:We are organizing members meetings; give information through phone calls, our webpage, publications, letters and e-mail. We have produced and published informative brochure about leukemia and first steps facing this disease.
KEY INITIATIVES AND ACTIVITIES:
- Meetings with association members
- Correspondence, meetings with Latvian health institutions, national and regional patient organizations
- Organization of "Leukaemia & Lymphoma day"
- Press releases prepared by association
- Commentaries in Latvian newspapers and on-line media
- Interviews with association members in national newspapers and magazines
- Persistent effort to increase support & financing from government and society
- Maintenance of the association website: www.leikemija.lv
- Cooperation with national hematologists and psychologists